NASA organized a competition to develop astronaut evacuation solutions. Its winner is Dr. Thatcher Cardon, who will get the funds to realize his idea.
NASA engineers working on new space vehicles and space exploration devices can not forget more mundane matters. It is up to them, the question of how to deal with physiological needs, which in space is not an easy matter.
Astronauts in space, like any other human, must expel. And since getting to orbit and mooring to the space station usually takes a bit longer, so you need to create a system that will allow you to safely store your metabolism.
In October last year, NASA organized a competition called Space Poop Challenge to develop a concept of dealing with urine and faeces. The waste management system had to keep them safe for at least 144 hours in the astronauts’ suits, and the author of the best idea could count on a good reward.
Thatcher R. Cardon, Air Force Lieutenant Colonel of Del Rio, Texas, was the author of the most interesting proposal. Cardon works as a family doctor and surgeon, so he used his knowledge and experience to create a project called MESP (MACES Perineal Access & Toileting System). He took 15 thousand dollars for it.
Air-PUSH (Air-Powered Urine and Stool Handling) was developed by a team of physicians from the University of Texas at Austin. The device uses astronaut’s body movements to keep the waste away from his body. This project won $ 10,000. The last place in the competition was taken by London designer Hugo Shelley, who got 5 thousand. Dollars for SWIMSuit. This is a special lingerie that can keep dirt for six days.
NASA engineers will now test all the winning ideas and decide which one will be installed in the new suit.
- Valuable Tips On Sensible Best Wireless Earbuds Keys - 06/10/2017
- NASA announces the winner of the Discovery Award for astronauts - 05/12/2017
- NASA chooses a landing site for the Mars rover - 05/10/2017
- Light business projector - 04/10/2017
- Twitter will help detect crimes - 03/08/2017
- The successor of the popular smartphone is coming - 03/03/2017
- Lockheed Martin is testing a mobile combat laser - 01/30/2017
- Torrent sites are more often a source of threats - 01/21/2017
- An unusual desk will make our work more comfortable - 01/17/2017
- HP Inc introduces new ScanJet scanners for SMEs and corporate clients - 01/16/2017